The epidemic situation has not been solved, and the prevention and control measures must be done well
Since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Wuhan in December 2019,China has mobilized the power and resources of the whole country to fight the epidemic.Now,its control and prevention efforts are starting to take effect.
According to a news conference on Feb 27,the epidemic will basically be brought under control on the Chinese mainland by the end of April,according to Zhong Nanshan,a well-known medical expert.
As of March 1,mainland areas outside of Hubei had reported a single-digit increase for four days in a row,according to the National Health Commission.As of March 2,about 20 provincial-level regions had lowered their epidemic emergency response levels.
Vaccine development is also progressing.Some vaccines have been tested on animals,according to the Ministry of Science and Technology.“If vaccine development is compared to building a house,we have laid the foundation and the building is starting to emerge from the ground,”said Zeng Yixin,deputy director of the National Health Commission.
However,the turning point is yet to come.It’s too early to relax,noted Xinhua.
The situation in Hubei province and Wuhan remains complex and grim,and the risk of an epidemic rebound in other regions cannot be overlooked,President Xi Jinping stressed on Feb 26.
Speaking over a meeting on the prevention and control of COVID-19,Xi said,“At this moment it is important to make unremitting epidemic containment efforts and accelerate all aspects of work in economic and social development.”
Prevention and control work in Beijing and other key regions should be strengthened to block any possible source of infection,according to the meeting.<-->纽约时报中英文网 http://www.qqenglish.com<-->
“In the face of a previously unknown virus,China has rolled out perhaps the most ambitious,agile and aggressive disease containment effort in history,”said a report released by a joint team of World Health Organization(WHO)and Chinese experts on Feb 29.
However,the world is not ready.The situation outside of China is concerning,as the world saw a huge increase in the number of new cases and the WHO raised its global risk assessment of the virus from“high”to“very high.”
As of March 3,the total number of confirmed cases in South Korea had risen to 4,812,China Daily reported.Italy had reported 2,036 confirmed cases.Iran,Japan and France have also found more confirmed cases.
The WHO advises other countries to learn from China’s experience and prepare immediately to take similar measures.“In mindset and materially,to implement the measures that have been employed to contain COVID-19 in China is the only strategy so far proven to curb the rapidly escalating epidemic”,according to the report.